Friday, January 23, 2009

Creative Writing Project cont.

Slacker vs. Worker

By Sanita Saengvilay

Your teacher announces that you will have a project. The class sighs and moans, but she has yet to announce that you will be working in groups. The worse part, you will be assigned accordingly. Now the classroom is filled with a mixture of celebrations and complaints. The class has unknowingly been divided in to a slacker versus worker zone.
School is a cutthroat environment and if you can’t keep up with the pace you will be left behind. Seriously, just ask a super senior. The worker untrusting of anyone other than themselves will do all the work assuming the worse out of everyone. The slacker will take advantage of the worker’s distrust and sit back and relax while getting an A on the project. When working in the group, the worker will complain to other workers about how they are doing all the work in their group. The slacker will laugh and say ‘sucks for you.’ I personally am a slacker of the group. Not by choice though, I willingly will put up the effort to do work but usually the worker will deem my work inadequate and redo it themselves. Now, come on, I worked a good 5 minutes before class to make that stuff up and you think your work is superior to mine.
I have no sympathy towards the worker. They assume that they are the only ones in the group who is willing to sacrifice. Numerous of times I have actually done my fair share of work but it usually gets an “Uhhh” and then a complaint to other workers.
‘How am I supposed to work with this?’
I’ll show you how you’re supposed to work this, [lots of explicits here]. I believe that there is no such thing as a slacker. The worker has just demolished the slacker’s confidence with their own insecurities. But teachers still continue to assign students in groups they don’t want to be in hoping to teach them a life lesson. ‘You can’t always choose who you work with in life.’ That is very true indeed, but for now I’ll just assume the slacker role. So have you finished with our poster yet?

No comments: